Tuesday, September 2, 2014

STAYING FASHIONABLE DESPITE THE ODDS

By Victoria Moore
 
   The other day I was asked by someone in an online discussion, "Which one word do you want people to think of when they think of you?" Without a second thought I said, "Stylish." If you'd have asked me that same question four years ago when I was diagnosed with Stage II A Breast Cancer, I might've said ,"Tough," but now that I'm in my post-cancer treatment phase I feel my journey has been personified by my appearance. Regardless of my financial circumstances, physical state or lifestyle changes I've discovered how to project self-assurance, mastery, courage and substance through the way I've dressed on my journey. Looking back I realize that was one of the ways I maintained my dignity while living with the disease.
   According to writer and breast cancer survivor Madhulika Sikka in her book "A Breast Cancer Alphabet," "Going through something like cancer treatments is hard, and it shows. If it works for you, to don a mask, great, because you and no one but you gets to decide how you look." During my current phase I've been subjected to criticism by people, who've never walked in my shoes, for "dressing" and it's led to unnecessary conflicts and misunderstandings that've added to the stress and anxiety I already feel as I try to rejoin the real world. A few months ago I read an article about an African woman who made peace with herself and her stylish upbringing by embracing it as a professional woman now living in the United States. Before she decided to dress beautifully, she'd downplayed that side of her personality so that she'd be taken seriously in the workplace. The thing I really related to, in the article, was how she came to the realization that being chic was a significant part of who she was and she was cheating herself by submerging it.
    As I struggled with cancer I was confronted by my own inner struggle over whether or not to hang onto this aspect of my life forever. Despite what my naysayers have said I've decided to keep it and enjoy it to the hilt. For women with breast cancer getting dressed and looking stylish can be a daunting challenge since they not only have to deal with the results from a mastectomy, scarring, side effects from chemo, procedures and medication they might also have to deal with isolation, depression and budgetary restrictions.

Ivey Abitz:
   After I had my first chemo treatment my immune system became so compromised that I couldn't go out in public and shop when I needed to. I did have internet access, however, and through my account on Face book I discovered a wonderful clothing company called "Ivey Abitz." Created by Cynthia Ivey Abitz and her husband Joshua Ivey Abitz their philosophy is "to give a nod to the past and present." Vintage-inspired and classic, their women's collections are timeless, versatile, unique and exquisite. For Summer 2014, even though I thought everything was beautiful, the one look that caught my eye was featured in their May 31, 2014 blog "Cottage Design Collection." Described as "having abundant ease and comfort," I felt Look No. 26, a beige cardigan over a white camisole and beige frock was the perfect outfit for someone going through the breast cancer journey because everything can be layered for warmth in case the examination room or the chemo suite is chilly, and the pieces can be easily removed for procedures. Dressy enough to be worn to a job, with a semi-casual atmosphere, it can also be worn to a support group or a local art gallery opening.

Angela Sum:
   While the internet is an excellent place to look for clothing choices, when you can't physically go to the stores, T.V. is another. When I was quarantined at home and in the hospital, I also kept up with fashion by looking at "America's Next Top Model" and "Project Runway." This season, I was immediately struck by how L.A. fashion designer Angela Sum, presented her "practical clothes" to the judges. What set her apart from the other contestants for me was the calm way she talked about "how she wasn't trying to reinvent the wheel but instead wanted to add subtle changes to classics that brought out a woman's femininity but also made her look like an individual."
   Considering the obstacles I've had with dressing in separates that would camouflage my surgical scars, and be versatile enough to accessorize easily, I felt the white "alternative dress shirt" and grey skinny pants Sum wore on one of the episodes would be the perfect solution to this problem. Roomy and loose enough to wear over a white t-shirt or tank top for extra warmth if I got chilly on a doctor's visit, the dress shirt is also elegant enough to wear to work then on a dinner date afterwards.

Looking to the Past for Inspiration:
 
 
    Before I was diagnosed with lupus in 2008, then lost all of my hair to chemo, I'd worn sunglasses and hats every now and then, but when I was forced to deal with these obstacles full time I had to find a way to incorporate them into my look. Physically, I have a tall, slender frame, long neck and small head so I was drawn to cloche hats and knit berets then. I've always been a huge fan of the 1920's so I adopted this style and still wore it once my hair grew back because it was very becoming.
   To keep up with different versions of the trend I look at books like Betty Kreisel Shubert's "Out-of-Style A Modern Perspective Of How, Why and When Vintage Fashions Evolved." Through her illustration in the section "The Changing Shapes of Women's Millinery 1906-1920's" I learned how to alter this look and make it more girly by accenting a hat with a flower pin.
   During those times when I couldn't replenish my wardrobe, through shopping, I often relied on older things I've owned for years to coordinate. When I read Shubert's quote, "Clothes that earn the title "Classic" or "Vintage" are beautiful in their own right," I felt justified for hanging onto them and wearing them when I needed and wanted to.
    Wherever you choose to seek inspiration, and however you try to stay within the fashion loop during your journey with breast cancer, don't forget to see it as part of your recovery and a way to add structure to your life as you travel on this new and interesting path.

Resources:
1) Ivey Abitz (www.iveyabitz.com)
2) Angela Sum (www.angelasum.com)
3) "Out-of-Style A Modern Perspective Of How, Why and When Vintage Fashions Evolved," written and illustrated by Betty Kreisel Shubert (www.outofstylethebook.com, bettyshubert@cox.net). This book is a great read and is a good way to escape and learn more about fashion from an insider.

No comments:

Post a Comment