Mere color, unspoiled by meaning, and unallied with definite form, can speak to the soul in a thousand different ways.--Oscar Wilde
It's funny but while going through chemo for Stage II A Breast Cancer the last thing I wanted was to look at something ugly. This sentiment was reflected in my daily appearance, especially when I had doctor's appointments and other medical visits. Part defense mechanism, part sartorial expression my style helped me cope with my changing health and lifestyle. One of my favorite outfits-a pink tweed Chanel-esque blazer over a white ruffled trim shirt and frilly multi-tiered skirt-was made even more memorable with a pink knit cap and orange flower pin attached to my lapel. During my six hour visits, to the chemo suit, I tried to relax and daydream amidst the harsh battle that was going on inside my body. In that short period, my mind flowed from words, in the latest book I was reading to glossy photos of the season's trends and supermodels. Later, after my treatment ended, I discovered I still craved constant beauty. With my digital camera I rediscovered the "naturehood in my neighborhood" and photographed every flower, tree and sunset that caught my eye.
"How can I immerse myself in all of this eye candy and stay awhile?" I wondered to myself as I shot frame after frame of lush wonder.
The day I discovered adult coloring I got my answer.
- Creative Haven's Flower Fashion Fantasies (www.doverpublications.com)
- Vive Le Color JAPAN (www.lacma.org)
- ESCAPES: (Various Titles include: Joyful Gardens, Fashion Art, Collage, Mosaics) (www.doverpublications.com) and (www.amazon.com)
- Keep Calm and Color: Tranquil Trees (www.doverpublications.com)
- Color Therapy: An Anti-Stress Coloring Book
- Cancer Treatment Coloring Book: Color Your Way to Health (created by cancer survivor Julie Carmen. Ideal for those going through chemo and other treatments and therapies.
- Coloring Through Cancer: An Adult Coloring Book with 30 Positive Affirmations to Encourage Cancer Survivors, by Sarah Ranae Clark
- I AM A CANCER Warrior: An Adult Coloring Book for Encouragement, Strength and Positive Vibes, 20 Powerful Mantras To Color (Courageous Coloring)
- Crayola Crayons (48) Preferred by Teachers!
- Crayola Colored Pencils Built-in Sharpener (64) Preferred by Teachers?
- Multicolored Pencils (www.lacma.org) LACMA Gift Shop
- Crayola Fine Line Markers (40 Vibrant Colors)
- Prisma Color Premier Colored Pencils (72)