Monday, September 16, 2013

THANKFUL FOR MY CANCER EXPERIENCE? YES OR NO?

By Carol L. Soskin
 

Flashback to seven years ago . . .

 
After over a year of weight loss, flu like symptoms and coughs, a year filled with X-rays, biopsies and other tests, my neck became very swollen and I was having trouble breathing.  I was informed that my lung had collapsed.  I was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.  I was immediately admitted to the hospital and started chemo.  My life changed before my very eyes; this wasn't supposed to be happening to me!

I had treatments every three weeks, then radiation.  All through it I kept my sense of humor but I felt that I was in another world.  Or was it another planet?  This was my new reality now. 

My great friends, family and doctors helped me on this journey to save my life.  It was shortly thereafter that I found the Cancer Support Community-Benjamin Center (CSC).  I made wonderful new friends and regularly attended the Writing Group.  The feedback about my writing as well as listening to other peoples’ writing helped me move forward with my life both mentally and physically.  I include the support group ‘Time to Talk’ and the many educational lectures at CSC in this story of gratitude. 

CSC understood.

Cancer gave me many gifts.

So the answer is  .  . . yes, I am very thankful!!
 
 
CSC's Writing Group meets every Wednesday from 1 - 3pm.  Time to Talk, a drop-in group for people with cancer meets every Monday from 2:30 - 4:30pm.  All CSC groups are run by psychotherapists.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment